Turning 25 : Things I've Learned

Picture was taken from here.

Well, today I'm freaking 25 and I don't know what to feel. Some people don't like getting older but me..... I would say that I love myself both now and when I was younger. Every age has its own phase, joy, and sorrow. I used to be afraid of getting old. Five years ago my wish was to be 20 forever. Adulting seemed so hard and uneasy.

The truth is... it is freaking hard with all the responsibilities but I also realize that getting older means getting wiser, having more knowledge and experiences, having my own money (more than I had when in college), knowing how to improve my look (read: to put on some eyeliner, brows, and lipstick lol), also having better sense of fashion (hopefully). So yea, I'm enjoying this so called quarter life crisis so far and still going through it.

But I'd proudly say that there is some things I learned before turning 25 that I want to share with the readers of this blog. It is summarized from my life guide, value, and principles I hold. And I better warn you that it is quite random, so if this is interesting enough for you to know, then here we go.
  1. Money management is part of maturity. I struggled a lot to be good in it. I was lack of this ability called saving money just before now, when I really really really have high urgency to save it. So yea, everyone has his/her own time to do something and I guess now it is my time.
  2. You can work your ass off for money but nothing you can do to bring back time, so do what your soul wants to do. I do love traveling, and I spend most of my money on it. And I never regret my traveling decision. Just before I applied for my master degree, I decided to spend almost all of my savings to visit Seoul. I didn't regret my decision even though I ended up borrowing my mom's money to pay my first semester's tuition. This is the extreme side, I know. And I shouldn't do that, I know it too. But I had some considerations and my own reasons at that time to choose spending almost of my savings on the trip. My youth won't come back so I'm doing what I can do now.
  3. Engage with many different culture will expand your perspective, so go traveling! I met some nice people in Korea. I stayed at the hostel whom the staffs were really friendly and helpful. Not to mention that they are also good looking, hehe. What I love most from traveling is that I can engage with other culture I've never known before. I know there are some people who aren't really into traveling and that's fine. But for those who love it, you should go. Really.
  4. The key of successful English learning is to get your confidence. Even though I love learning English (and some other foreign languages) and took a course for a couple of years, I was never confident with my English. My first job required me to talk in English with the expat but I couldn't. I don't have any problems with passive English but when it comes to direct talking, I was devastated. It changed me when I was taking IELTS test. There was this speaking test that I must pass. So I had to talk in English fluently with accurate grammar and pronunciation. What made it more insane is that I only had a week to prepare, hahaha. But I practiced intensely, recorded myself while talking each day. And guess what? Got a 7 for IELTS speaking test, lol. I can't believe that. Months later, I also attended international conference where I need to present my research journal in English. I met some nice people from Philippines, and happy to realize how far my confidence in talking (in English) has been improved. When I went to Korea recently, I couldn't speak many Korean but only depended on my English, and I survived! I'm not saying that I'm sooo good in English, in fact I still need tons of work to do to improve it. My English in daily basis in pretty fine, but still need more adjustment and practice for English business. But let's get back to the first sentence of this point. Yea, confidence is the key.
  5. The key of successful diet is not too strict, because strict diet will make you get bored and don't wanna do it again. You should give yourself reward once in a while. It works for me. And exercise is the thing you want to do as a routine, so make it as simple as possible. Diet and workout is like trial and error, at least for me. It will take some time for you to find the one that suits you but that's okay. Once you find it, it will be so much easier for you to build your own healthy lifestyle.
  6. Don't leave until you chase down your own demons. For me personally, I have my own fear and weakness, and I ran from it years and years and at the end of the day I still have to face it anyway. It's no good for my mental so please don't do that to yours.
  7. It's okay to follow your heart but it is more important to follow your conscience, because it represents God's voice in you. 
  8. Sometimes all we need to do is just hanging on. We must have been in that situation when we can't find way out of the problems we are facing. My early 24 was not easy for me. Too many bad things happened simultaneously and it freaked me out. I was in agony, so bitter with life, and I chose to do nothing. Because, really, I din't think any kind of miracles would work out. However, it was my mind that limited God's miracles in my life. So when you are in so much pain, stay there. Don't do anything if you don't have anything to do. Only surrender. You may be tired, but don't give up. When you've passed the storm, you'll no longer remember how you could even walk out of there.
  9. You don't have to be in a relationship / get married if you don't want to. :) I personally think that being in a relationship with someone doesn't mean I want to marry him. And getting married doesn't mean I want to have kids with him. I'll never give a damn to anyone trying to tell me what to do with my marriage life, because dude, peer/family/social pressure is never a good reason to be in a relationship / get married. People said hurry find your guy before you're expired but I'd say if my worth is measured by age and physical, then so be it. If it means I'll have to sacrifice it for freedom, dreams, desires, well... I guess I'm pretty fine with that. And it is not that I against marriage, God, I don't. I just wanna do it when I am ready and wanting it.
  10. Sometimes less is more. Last but not least, be thankful for what you're having right now, because some things that you're taking for granted could be the things that other people are begging for. As for me, what I'm thankful most this year is my inner circle. I am always thankful for their presence in my life but this year I really really really grateful that they are there, by my side, when I needed them the most. They are ready for me whenever I need place to cry and confide in. :)
24 was rough, I wont deny. But it sure taught me lots of things and I can't wait to enter the next life phase. Cheers~


August 1st, 2018

Comments

Popular Posts